Career with Us
The St. James-Assiniboia 55+ Centre is often looking for great people to enhance our programs, services, and activities. We hire creative thinkers and community-minded individuals in the areas of:
– Recreation and Leisure
– Social Services
– Contract Instructors (fitness, leisure, and education)
– Community Development and Outreach
– Food preparation
General applications are accepted via email. Otherwise, please view our current opportunities below.
James-Assiniboia 55+ Centre Job Opportunity
Recreation Assistant (Summer Student)
Job Type: Full Time Summer Position (16 Weeks) Days: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (30 Minute Unpaid Lunch)
Location: St. James – Winnipeg, MB
Posting Date: Monday, April 29th, 2019
Closing Date: Wednesday, May 8th, 2019
Starting Date: Monday, May 13th, 2019
Reporting to the Executive Director, The Program Coordinator Assistant is responsible for the assisting in the planning, coordination, and facilitation of programs at the St. James‐Assiniboia 55+ Centre as well as assisting with registration and other front desk duties. This is a Canada Summer Jobs Funded Position.
• Assist in managing all sport, recreation, leisure and social programs at the Centre.
• Assist with the reception desk. Taking registrations, responding to inquiries about the Centre, providing tours and talking about what the Centre has to offer.
• Oversee the process for the sales of the City of Winnipeg Corporate Passes.
• Assist with planning and developing recreation programs in order to ensure that activities and events are made available for all community members.
• With the Program Coordinator communicate with community members to determine their needs and interests.
• With the Program Coordinator ensure a variety of sport, recreation, social and cultural programs are planned and implemented.
• With the Congregate Meal Program Coordinator provide assistance for the social and meal programs.
• Train and supervise volunteers as required.
• Under the direction of the Program Coordinator supervise and lead activities, particularly trips and outings.
• With the Program Coordinator collaboratively plan and programs for Fall 2019 including coordinating the details and preparing program descriptions for the newsletter.
• Promote recreation and sport programs in order to ensure that members are aware of available opportunities and activities.
• Oversee the annual Membership Survey process.
• Assist with Centre fundraising, including creation of a cookbook.
• Perform other related duties as required.
The ideal candidate should possess the following attributes:
• An understanding of implications of planning programs for seniors
• Computer skills including the ability to operate spreadsheets and word processing programs at a highly proficient level
• Effective written communications skills including the ability to prepare reports
• Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitating programs.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Highly motivated and hardworking, with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Work well in a team environment.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Outgoing, warm and caring.
• Experience working with seniors is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with salary expectations, which clearly states how you meet qualifications stated above by Wednesday, May 8th, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. to:
Please indicate the job title in the subject line.
We sincerely appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.